Sunday, May 5, 2013

My Opening Gambit

Photo by JasonBrown2013
This blog has been around for some time in some iteration or another.

I've had some trouble trying to figure out what this blog's niche could be so that it doesn't just end up being another blog analyzing the markets, giving stock picks or just being simply generic. I have read so many technical analysis blogs and frankly, I'm bored of them. There must be hundreds if not thousands of these type of blogs. So what can I do differently... Well, the answer is, not that much, but I can try to be as useful giving my opinion on the markets along with some techniques that I use to be a successful investor.

I say investor for a couple reasons:

  1. Although I have tried my hand at day trading, I have never been successful enough. I know when I've been beaten so I have moved on.
  2. I do trade stocks, options and futures, but I hold positions longer than a day. I have found that holding trades longer produce better returns/results with lower risk. I consider myself more an investor than a trader, although you could make the argument either way. I'm no Warren Buffet.
  3. I use both fundamental and technical data to make my purchase decisions. Fundamental (and other macro) data often drive the decision to enter the trade while technical data is very useful for timing an entry and exit.

One final idea that I believe will provide the niche I'm looking for here to answer a question that I repeatedly get from friends who don't trade for their own accounts. "How do I get started trading stocks or options?" Trying to answer this question has been tricky and I feel that there really isn't a single resource available on the the internet to answer this question simply and clearly and without bias. I'm talking about breaking things down to their absolute basics and that is what I hope to accomplish. Whether I succeed remains to be seen, but I'm willing to give it a try.

I expect to be writing a blog post 2 or 3 times a week to start and then see how the blog evolves. Along the way, feedback will always be welcome and I'll make efforts to integrate ideas and comments as they are added by readers.

I hope this blog will become a useful tool for any trader or investor as a repository of knowledge and information; helping each individual on their own unique journey to profiting from the financial markets.

Trade well,

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment